Saturday, December 3, 2011

Crispycakes: The Rice Krispie Treat on Steroids

Rainbow Sprinkle Crispycake
I've tried to make Rice Krispie Treats many times since my sons were born.  I use the cheating microwave method and am always disappointed.  I can never get the balance of marshmallow and cereal right or get it packed dense enough into the pan to yield a cuttable snack bar.  So when I stumbled across Crispycakes, you can imagine my excitement. 

I mean, just look at them--2" thick, densely-packed rice crispy and marshmallow bricks of yummy goodness!  Then, the craftsmen who make them have taken this luciousness further by tricking out their Crispycakes with a variety of fillings and/or toppings.  We've got Rainbow Sprinkles, Mini Marshmallows with Chocolate Drizzle, Candy Buttons, S'mores,  Cookies and Cream, and Pretzel Surprise, which is what I sampled for this review.

Pretzel Surprise is basically pretzel and chocolate sandwiched between two layers of rice crispy treats.  The crispy treats themselves are just the right balance of oooey and gooey with a soft but dense consistency.  There's just the right amount of cereal and marshmallow so neither is overwhelming or too sweet.  By itself, the rice crispy treat is probably one of the best I've ever eaten, but then add the salt of the pretzel and the zing from the chocolate, and it transforms into a gourmet snack fit for adults.  And with the size of these babies--3 1/2" square, there's enough to share!   I split mine with my 14 year-old son, who gave his nod of approval, which is high praise from a teenage boy.

These would make perfect stocking stuffers for both children and adults, but you'll have to hurry in to get some before I eat them all.  I mean, they are seriously calling my name right now . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment